Rachel “Wangui” Dawson

The Kenya trip was an unforgettable trip that has made a huge impact on my personal life as a follower of Jesus Christ. As I have been processing through everything we experienced, I have realized that one aspect that had a big impact on me was how consistent Kenyan Christians are with prayer. They truly rely on God to provide for all their needs. If they are struggling with their walk with God, this is shared with the church so that they can be held accountable and the congregation can uplift them. They referenced Jeremiah 29:11, “ ‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’ ” Even though they have little to nothing, they know that in God’s time, He will provide.

I came back wondering why I hold onto so many concerns, thinking that I could handle them better. We have a Savior who loves us more than anything and he wants the best for us, therefore He will help us through the storms that are placed in our lives. Throughout the course we talked about how many Africans are very community-based. In one of the articles, Jomo Kenyatta talked about different factors of the Kikuyu tribes and throughout this article he explained that the three factors are all intermixed with each other. The first is the family group; the second is the clan, which joins multiple families together; and the third is the moherega, or ancestral group. This brings thousands of people together, which shows why the emphasis on community is so prevalent.

Learning the history about Kenya and Christianity was extremely helpful while we were talking with Kenyan people. We learned how to have cultural humility, which allowed us to connect better with the people that we were walking with.